Wednesday, May 14, 2014

---. Burmagomphus sp.

Number: --- 
Family:   Gomphidae
Genus: Burmagomphus 
Species: Burmagomphus sp.
Common name(s):N/A
Synonyms: N/A 
Habitat: Sandy shallow stream
 Province(s) sighted: Pa La-U Waterfall (Pratchup Khirikhan)
Sightings (by me): Solitary female
In flight (that I have seen): May (2014) 
Species easily confused with: Burmagomphus species

During my trip I also briefly saw a female Burmagomphus species, which landed momentarily in front of me. I managed one poor quality snap and it was off. Unfortunately, I didn't manage to spot a male. I do believe it is a different female to the two other species I have seen from the genus. The markings along the abdomen seem somewhat different. However, until I return to the same location and spot the male, I can only say Burmagomphus sp.

The female
The female is typically Burmagomphus-like in appearance. However, the markings along the abdomen are new to me and differ to the two species I have encountered before (B. divaricatus and B. asahinai).

No comments:

Post a Comment